Redfish Lake

Redfish Lake

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Using online data - reflection

In our text it states that using online data can increase student motivation and allow students to feel more empowered with their use of inquiry skills. I have found this to be true when I introduce two different types of online data collection in my class. In the fall, during our earthquake unit, students look at real time earthquake magnitudes occurring through the USGS site. In the spring students use the NOAA website to gather local information during our week of weather charting. Given the new technology that I will have available in my class next year, I would like to move to a more student centered approach when using these sites. I tend to guide them through it pretty extensively to save time, as we are usually traveling to a computer lab for a limited amount of time.


Another aspect of using online data is being able to communicate clearly to my students what their expectations are. I teach 8th graders and although most appreciate the ability to explore online information for class, most need VERY simple and clear directions to stay on task. Time is always an issue these days with the amount of curriculum that we need to cover. I would need to put in a significant amount of time, before the assignment to get the directions and tasks clear.

While reading through the Generating an Argument article I jumped right into creating a document that followed the process. I really appreciate the clear and succinct steps that it lays out. I am curious to see the round robin style of sharing in action.

As with many other content areas, earth science is one subject that includes a wealth of resources and options for data collection. I look forward to exploring the other online simulations and data collection sites that my classmates have recommended.

2 comments:

L.Stepro said...

Time was of course an issue in my mind too when thinking about how to approach this project. I teach inner city fourth graders, and some are not as competent with technology as they might need to be for a project of this scope. This would definitely be something to consider when making groups and pairing more tech-savvy children with students who struggle on a computer. I also know quite a bit of time would need to be spent on accessing the data and using it correctly, so thats something I would need to first demonstrate on the Smartboard.

DAD said...

Oh!
you've already done earthquakes.
Also, the simulations (especially graphs) will help with the ISAT which uses lots of graphs.
DAD