Redfish Lake

Redfish Lake

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Simulation Exploration

Create A Graph is a site that I have actually used before with our weekly weather charting activity. After the week has concluded, we graph the daily highs and lows to be able to make a summary statement about the week. I have found this site VERY user friendly. Excel is always an option too, but I think Create a Graph is more fun and visually stimulating.


I checked a few of the simulations posted by past students….. one was called How to Aim a Hurricane. This simulation was very simple and I think could be easily shared with students on my big screen while introducing the topic, rather than students exploring it on their own.

A really neat simulation that I found while searching was the Lunar Phases Lab. This one is much cooler than one that I had used previously. The trick is getting it to slow down enough to be able to visualize the phases while we talk about it in class.

Virtual Volcano by the Discovery Channel is another simulation that I have had my students explore in the past. It has a number of different layers, good short explanations, great graphics (I think) and even the ability to manipulate viscosity and gas levels.

Another really cool one that I found was called Make Lighting Strike on the National Geographic website – its really cool – check it out make lighting hit different objects! After messing with this one it led me to Unleash an Avalanche – way fun! You can change up the snow pack and weather to explore which conditions make for a more dangerous avalanche.

Alien Juice Bar is a hilarious simulation where you make a drink at the correct pH level – if it wrong the aliens croaks. have used this one with my physical science students at the end of the year when they are burnt out and need a laugh.

Finally, this one Carbon Footprint Calculator is really cool. After a series of interesting questions and simulations, it tells you how many ‘Earths’ it would take to sustain your type of lifestyle if everyone lived like you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the great simulations!

Liz Welch said...

I'm amazed at the way technology can be used to teach. To my knowledge, this way of engaging the learners is pretty new.

Your descriptions of the various web sites was a learning experience for me and increased my curiosity about volcanoes, lightning, avalanches, etc.

DAD said...

Hi T,
Wealso useda good one on earthquakes... P waves, etc.
I don't remember the name right now.
Love,
DAD

caryn said...

Thanks for Alien Juice Bar!

Brunsell said...

It looks like you had a good week of exploring.